Each Sunday, I release a life challenge on Instagram @restorednbc. It’s meant to be my weekly motivation but my hope is that others can be inspired and catch on too. The challenges are all about doing something unexpected and moving past the ordinary to experience something new. This week, the challenge was about selecting 5 goals to reach by the end of Summer. Today is my round-up for my challenge for the week and this is what I’ve come up with:
- Read more. There never seems to be time in my day to read. In the past couple of years, I’ve only read books when I’m on a plane or on the beach. Knowing how much I read as a kid, I am so ashamed. So my number 1 is to complete 4 books this Summer: Zombie Loyalists by Peter Shankman, The Brand Within by Daymond John, Radical by David Platt, and The Normal Christian Life by Watchman Nee.
- 30-Day Blogging Challenge. I belong to a business association called the Indie Business Network and they have put out a challenge for members to blog every day for 30 days. Imagine going from no blogs to having to write every. single. day. Needless to say I’m still surviving. After only 1 week, this challenge has kicked me into high-gear and made me focus on my new business. It’s a win-win.
- Get my certification. I work in an environment with some pretty pressing deadlines and it can get hectic from time to time. It’s the perfect excuse to get caught up in “doing” and forget about your personal development. For the longest, I have been putting off pursuing my certification in SAS programming. I have already been programming for about 5 years so all it takes is some studying and a test. In the words of Martin Lawrence, “ain't nothing to it but to do it.”
- Move. I am a big thinker, but I don’t mean it the way you think I do. When I act or speak, I’ve probably thought about 5 possible outcomes before I did anything. When you’re thinking all the time, you tend to get stuck in your thoughts and are really slow to move. Sometimes you just have to make up your mind! Instead of wasting time thinking and sitting on my ideas, I am committing to start moving forward.
- Say No. I have the world’s most awesome parents. Just spend 1 day with them and you’ll completely understand. It makes sense that I’ve inherited some of their great qualities. One of those qualities is to always be there for everybody, every day, as much I can. It is fulfilling but exhausting. I’ve found that I can give so much of myself away that I have no time for myself. Well, this Summer I will exercise more judgment and sometimes just say no.
I have officially been challenged so here’s to an exciting summer! What are your summer plans?
Photo Credit: Jason Ortego
- June 20, 2015
- Tiffany A