With summertime soon approaching, how many of you are still working on your New Year’s resolutions? I don’t think I need to wait for the answer. We all know the drill...we start seeing the infamous posts on Facebook around the end of December about our lofty plans for the year. This year was supposed to be different, this year you were going to make it happen. But somehow your plans fell short and you got stuck. Stuck is where you’ve hit that plateau and can’t seem to reach your weight loss goal. Stuck is where you encountered a challenge with your business idea and you're discouraged. Stuck is where you thought you’d have that new job or new partner by now, but your plans fell flat.
So how do you move past stuck to success? Below are a few things that help keep me on track:
- Move. The first step is the easiest but somehow the hardest. When you’re in the moment it’s easy to keep moving. It’s much harder to move when you've come to a complete stop. So don’t stop! When you’re scared, intimidated, frustrated, or doubtful, sometimes the last thing you want to do is move closer to what makes you feel that way. Take baby steps, leaps, jumps, hops, skips- whatever you need to do-as long as you keep moving. The next step forward may feel like the loneliest or scariest thing to do, but you’ll never see what’s ahead of you until go towards it. Have you encountered a major issue that has made you come to a standstill? Conquer the smaller, more doable tasks first so you feel better about accomplishing something.
- Have a Goal. This may seem obvious but it happens often; people have a desire to change or improve something, but don’t focus on what that “thing” should be. It’s important to know the finish line you’re striving toward. How do you know when you’re there unless you’ve set the goal? The best way to get discouraged or distracted is losing sight (or never having sight) of what you’re hoping to achieve. Be specific. How much do you want? When do you want it? Where do you want it? Knowing exactly what you want gives you sharper focus and provides more of a guarantee that you’ll get there.
- Be consistent. Starting a business has got to be the most intimidating process ever! You often feel like you’re staring down a black hole or that you're shouting at the mountaintops and still no one hears you. The advice I often see from business blogs and websites is to be consistent with your message and your actions. Dropping in and out of a process is a sure way to lose sight. When you’re trying to lose weight, working out every day will yield better results than working out when you feel like it. Eventually you will see results. Eventually someone will listen. Eventually people will catch on. But until then, keep plugging away.
- Do Something Out of the Ordinary. The problem with a routine is just that, it’s routine. Doing things the same way can cause fatigue. Though consistency is important to keep you focused on your goal, sometimes doing the same thing over and over gets tired. This doesn’t mean that you should stop striving for your goal, but it does mean that trying something new may add a fresh perspective and give you a boost. There’s nothing like a detour in life to shake things up. Finding something new may give you a second wind, and actually increase your desire to reach your goal. '
- Believe. I am convinced that you will never be able to reach a goal that you don’t have a desire or a belief that you’ll reach. There’s power in the words you speak in your life and there’s power in what you think. If you do not believe that a project is worthy, or if you do not believe that you have what it takes to get there, then guess what, the odds are very much against you. And who wants to strive towards a goal they really don’t want to reach, anyway? Make it a daily regimen to think positive thoughts and to state your goals, over and over again.
Notice how everything I’ve mentioned involves steps that YOU can take. Blaming other people or other factors for your failures will get you nowhere. The moment you realize your destiny begins with your actions, is the moment you know you’re heading in the right direction. Of course there are other ways to keep you motivated that I could have mentioned, but these are the 5 things that help keep me focused the most. And trust me, it’s a daily struggle to stay on track, but I’d rather have struggled and reached my goal, then to still be in the land of stuck.
Wishing you much success!
- June 16, 2015
- Tiffany A